Friday, July 7, 2017

Ala-Archa canyon

As previously said, there is not much to see in Bishkek. However the real attractions of Kyrgyzstan are not the cities, but the wonderful mountains around, including three peaks over 7000 meters.

About 40 km south of the capital, there is the Ala-Too range and its national park, the Ala Archa canyon. I have been hiking there last week-end, which also allowed me to temporarily escape the heat of Bishkek.

 Heading to Ala-Archa.

The entry of the park.

Kyrgyzstan is sometimes called the "Switzerland of Central Asia".

 On the way to the Ratsek hut.

My guide Artem and the Peak Korona behind him. With an elevation of 4860 meters, it is already more than what the Alps have to offer.

 The Ratsek hut at about 3350 meters. It serves as a base camp for the mountaineers climbing the peaks around.

 Saturday afternoon it starts to rain in Ala-Archa. In Bishkek the sun is still shining.

Sunday, again in the park, with another guide, on another route. 

The bridges are rather rudimentary. 

 I had to come in Kyrgyzstan to see my first edelweiss in the wild...

... and my first yaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment