Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Ak-Say canyon

Apparently in Kyrgyzstan, as soon as there are a few mountains together, they name it canyon, as in Ala-Archa or in Sokuluk. But I have always the feeling that these sites don't really deserve to be called so; they are just regular valleys! For me a canyon has to be like the Grand Canyon or like Petra, with almost vertical walls (disclaimer: I've neither been to the Grand Canyon nor Petra).

This time, we hiked through a scenic canyon that didn't usurped its name: Ak-Say, located on the south shore of the Issyk-Kul lake.

The entry is a few kilometers west from the town of Bokonbaevo. 

Milena ready to start the walk. She loves to hike on mom's back. 

I was always behind as I kept on taking pictures.

There are a few cars driving through the canyon to the beach.

I could catch up my cousin Eliane, also stopping for pictures.

Ak-Say definitely suits my own definition of a canyon.

Toward the end, I could climb on the ridge to have another point of view. 

After about one hour walk, Issyk-Kul is on sight.

We ate on the beach and swam in the lake.

The water was surprisingly warm.

Then we climbed a small hill. 

It is called the Geologist's Peak.

It is only about 100 meters elevation.

The view from the top is amazing.

Towards east.

Towards north.

Towards west.

Towards south.

No comments:

Post a Comment