Thursday, June 29, 2017

Orozo Ait

For the next few weeks, I'm living in a host family in Bishkek. There is Asel, who speaks very good German; her brother that I actually didn't met yet because he's currently working far away; and his wife Naziria with their two young children.

On Sunday - my first day here - Asel brought me to the Osh Bazaar, a huge market where you can buy absolutely anything: groceries, spices, shoes, clothes, electronic devices, toys, etc.

Osh Bazaar

I've read that it is a known place for corrupted policemen to check the passport of foreigners and trying to extort money from them. However being with a local person, it is very unlikely that I get any problem. Beside that there are many Russian people in Bishkek; as long as I don't walk with my camera around the neck or with a huge backpack, I guess I just look like a plain local Russian.

Osh Bazaar

During the afternoon, she invited my at her (other) brother's who lives in a house in the south neighborhood of Bishkek. She said 'maybe there will be some food, maybe not'. Now you have to know that last Sunday in Kyrgyzstan was the so called Orozo Ait, a holiday marking the last day of the Ramadan. And to celebrate the end of the fast, they eat. A lot. And of course guests are expected to do so too.

But I didn't fasted during the last month, I ate the whole time! I'm just not that hungry... Anyway, I asked Asel what is considered as acceptable behavior, and she explained it would be rude not to eat anything, but trying a few things without finishing them is alright.

Afterwards we were having a drink with Asel and her sister-in-law, when the later received an invitation from a friend to 'have a cup of tea'. So we all went there and ate some more...

The family of Asel's brother.

The friend of the brother's family and Asel.

'...to have a cup of tea.'

No comments:

Post a Comment